Posted 12/06/2012 by duanefranklet
Today I installed the latest greatest WeBlog 2.2 module. Previously we had been using WeBlog 2.0.
It was unclear to me if I would get an upgraded version of our current blog, or what exactly would happen when I installed the new module. Best I could see the documentation didn't have anything to say about upgrades.
So what did happen is the module installed and our old blog broke. Darn it. But the thing about Sitecore is, the uninstall process is just painful enough - restore your Sitecore database(s) - that it causes me to persevere, dig a little deeper and try some things.
I created a new blog to test if the new blog module was working. It was. We don't have a large number of blog entries, so I copied and pasted the node for 2012 from old blog to the one newly created. All the entries showed up. So then I pasted the remaining older entries, the RSS item and the Categories over to the new blog. Publish and we are away.
Oh... and I renamed the old blog and gave its name to the newly recreated one, so that all the sites links were back up and functional. The process looked like this:
Now there's probably a more elegant way to do this, but I wasn't sure if the new blog hadn't been created with a modified template, settings, etc, so I'm not sure I wanted to point at the old blog even if I could have done it that way. All I can tell you here is, this worked for me.